Life on our Gemini catamaran got started well Labor Day morning. Coffee, dog walk, a check of the news and weather. Plus- an incoming text regarding having a contract captain engagement on Cruise The Neuse boat tours at Noon.
My Westerbeke task filled the time between 9 and 11AM. The face of the engine mount for the transmission was honed with toothpaste having backing soda. Then the residue was removed- first with damp paper towel and then with a small rag soaked in alcohol.
Before test fitting the transmission to its mount, I used a small paint brush to lubricate all the points of contact-shaft splines; roller bearings; bearing cups; shift rod guide & receiver; plus the dowel rods at the top and bottom. (The dowel rods are guides to ensure accurate alignment as the parts slide together.
Unfortunately the gap could not be closed with hand pressure. The diesel mechanic’s manager was kind enough to answer my text asking for advice. (My ooops and apologies to him. I had forgotten this was Labor Day and not just another Monday.)
So, the mechanic will come on Wednesday to assess the problem with sliding the transmission into place.
After the Noon pontoon boat river tour I changed clothes and got back to boat work.
Back when I uncoupled the transmission’s shift lever cable, I had made note that the tiny coupler was a bit rusty and therefore literally a weak link for the drive system of the boat. No better time to unscrew the coupler to determine the thread size and thread count.
Having saved the information, I can order a replacement and have it ready in case of a failure. When reattaching the original, I used the Permatex Anti-Seize lubricant product for the first time.
Other work accomplished between the previous blog post and this one:
Cleaning and Painting the transmission to out drive coupler assembly to extend its useful life
Cleaning the mounting feet base nuts of rust and grime involved Liquid Wrench penetrating oil, one of the mounting bolts, and a couple of wrenches. Now the bolts can be screwed in by hand- which will aid the ease of reinstalling the engine. I can only imagine how difficult it would have been to have reintroduced bolts to unreceptive cast in place nuts.
While installing coolant hoses I took an image of the interior of one of the shaped hoses. Note that a spring is inside to keep the sharp bend from collapsing the hose.
With all the activity I missed lunch after only having Lance crackers and a granola bar for lunch. By 5PM I was whipped. A nap was needed before a Burger King quick cheap dinner!
The story / blog of Yacht A Fun, a Gemini catamaran sailboat, traveling the ICW and east coast with insights to the extended cruising life. Westerbeke Oil Seal for JS transmission